Plan of Study

General Education (GE) courses are subjects not necessarily related to Computer Science, but are designed to make you a more well-rounded student. GE subjects cover fields in the humanities, social sciences, mathematics, and natural sciences.

There are 6 GE courses you are required to take. You only have to specify which year and semester you will take them:

  • ARTS 1 – Critical Perspective in the Arts
  • COMM 10 – Critical Perspectives in Communication
  • ETHICS 1 – Ethics and Moral Reasoning in Everyday Life
  • KAS 1 / HIST 1 – Kasysayan ng Pilipinas / Philippine History
  • STS 1 – Science, Technology, and Society
  • PI 10 – The Life and Works of Jose Rizal

Then you must take 3 additional GE courses of your choice. The GE Plan of Study must be accomplished during the 1st semester of your 1st year. The GE subjects you chose can still be changed before you have taken them, subject to the approval of your adviser.

You may choose 3 elective subjects to take during your last year in the University. These subjects are more specific than GE subjects, (e.g foreign languages, or higher level subjects in political science, physics, statistics, management, etc.). Usually these will be related to the SP/Thesis topic you want to pursue, or related to the work you want to engage in after graduating. At least one of the electives you choose must be a CMSC elective.

The Elective Plan of Study must be accomplished during the 2nd semester of your 2nd year. The electives you chose can also be changed anytime after that, subject to the approval of your adviser.

Non-exhaustive list of possible elective subjects

Academic Adviser

When you become a student of our insitute, you will be assigned an academic adviser from the senior faculty. They will be your guide during your stay in the University. They’ll be signing all paperwork concerning you such as your plan of study, change in matriculation, underload/overload permits, etc.

If you have any questions about academic matters, such as which electives are best to take, or which course to prioritize during the current semester, or whether you should underload/overload, the first person you should ask is your academic adviser.

SP / Thesis Adviser

When you start your SP or Thesis during your 4th year, you’ll need to find an SP or Thesis adviser. Your academic adviser does not have to be your SP/Thesis adviser. At this point, it’s common for students to change advisers due to interest in a particular field which another faculty member specializes in.

Your SP/Thesis adviser will then be your new academic adviser.


If you have any questions about registration, contact your adviser or the registration committee at [email protected]


You will need to find a new adviser. Talk to some faculty and ask them if they will take you in as an advisee.

Someone from the registration committee can sign for your adviser in the meantime (e.g. the Change of Adviser form). Contact them at [email protected]

It depends on what topic you to pursue. You can check out the faculty page to get an idea of what research areas a specific faculty member focuses on.

However, take note that our faculty members also have a limit on how many advisees they can accept.

Yes, you can technically credit any subject (that is not a core subject of your current program, or a GE subject) as an elective. It just has to be approved by your adviser.

If you are interested in elective subjects from other departments/institutes not listed here, you must inquire with them directly.